Thursday, June 27, 2019

Exhale



“You’re holding your breath. Breathe. You have been here before and each time God has given just what you need. Just when you need it. Breathe. Smile. Breathe. You will be okay. No matter what.”

And so go my thoughts as I sit in waiting room after waiting room. Waiting on tests, waiting on doctors, waiting on answers.  Sometimes I will find myself almost lightheaded and will realize I have been holding my breath. Not sure why I do that. Not sure what it accomplishes, but it seems to be almost reflexive.

As the doctors and nurses come in I am reading their faces, reading their body language, looking for any clue as to whether the news they bring is good or bad. And then they begin to speak— and I hold my breath. The next words they say have huge weight for me, for those I love, for those who love me.

“You’re holding your breath. Breathe. You have been here before and each time God has given just what you need. Just when you need it. Breathe. Smile. Breathe. You will be okay. No matter what.”

Well, Mrs. Jackson, we have your reports—- it looks like the spots are stable.” And I EXHALE! Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee, How great thou art!!!!!” I can breathe without needing internal dialogue!! The air, the fear, the hope, and the worry all come spilling out and I inhale the grace and the joy of the moment! How refreshing to my lungs!

Here are the Cliff’s Notes version of our week:
The thymoma spots look much like they did three months ago. That is fantastic news!We will keep moving forward with a watch-and-see approach which brings me great joy! My doctor wants me to visit again with my surgeon just to make sure that we would not be missing a window of opportunity if we delay treatment, but from an oncology perspective, he is comfortable waiting. He wants me to be very clear on the viability (or not) of surgery and the health problems it might create including loss of lung tissue, breathing capacity, etc.

They reviewed the genetic study with me (although I am now realizing I did not ask enough questions!) One of the genetic tests was designed to measure the favorability of response to immunotherapy. It showed a  90% response rate. Super high. The doctor listened to my concerns about that triggering autoimmune diseases that are often associated with thymoma. He felt that risk was fairly low but did share concerns about other health issues it could cause. immunotherapy can trigger any “-itis” encephalitis, pancreatitis, colitis, nephritis— pretty much everything but gingivitis! Lol!

A study they did on my last biopsy shows that the thymoma sample is not secreting parathyroid hormone (PTH) which is running high. That confirms there is an Adenoma (non-cancerous tumor) one the parathyroid glands causing primary hyperparathyroidism. This has led to 5% bone loss in my left arm over two years and a kidney stone. It will continue to cause problems in those areas until treated. Surgery is required for that but they are also good with me waiting if I prefer. I am weighing the pros and cons. And breathing.

When I was a kid we would often throw objects into the deep end of the swimming pool and have contests to see who could swim down and retrieve them. There were times I would get to the bottom, grab the item, and turn to swim back to the surface and start to panic, feeling like I was running out of air. I would kick extra hard and just when I thought I couldn’t hold it for one more second, I would break through the surface, my fist in the air and as I exhaled I called out, “I got it!!!” That is how I feel right now. It has been a time of diving deep, searching for answers and a little more time before the next big step. I have panicked at times feeling like my chest would burst, but today I broke the surface with my fist in the air, exhaling and thinking , “I got it!!”

I am so grateful to God my Father who extends me grace I do not deserve and could never earn. I am grateful for my family and friends who intercede on my behalf and love me through it all! I am grateful for the gift of time! And I am so grateful to EXHALE!!!


Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his miracles. 1 Chronicles 16:8-9


4 comments:

  1. Such great news! I’m continuing to lift you in prayer everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Stacy! He is answering your prayers!!!!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoo-hoo Snoopy dancing! Just breathe is always good advice. My three year old Granddaughter River gets so wound up you have to say “just breathe” and chill and she does. God’s always been on the frontlines for you. Still praying and breathing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sweet gal ... I am SOOOOOO happy for you!!! Prayers are always the answer -- always! Please know I'm celebrating with you in heart. The JOY one feels when they can .. EXHALE! We serve such an AWESOME, AWESOME Creator! He loves us so, sweet gal. Feel my hugs on the neck, girl. So very thankful things are moving positively. I'll keep those prayers goin', Anna. May God bless you over and over and over!!! Love you, Anna.

    ReplyDelete