Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Trapped Like a Turkey?

Surprises lie around every corner. I have gotten to where I love to watch for them because they often teach me something important.  I had one of those moments today. On my drive to work, my attention was captured by an unusual sight. Movement caught my eye and when I glanced over at I noticed a wild turkey frantically pacing back and forth behind a fence desperately looking for a way out.


You could tell by the poor bird's movements that his little turkey heart must have been in full-blown panic mode as it searched and searched for an escape.  Now you, I, and Arthur Carlson from WKRP in Cincinnati know (If you don't get that reference then you owe it to yourself to click the link and enjoy!) turkeys cannot fly -- at least not the fattened Thanksgiving turkeys that we eat. But wild turkeys? Now that is a different story. While it is true that wild turkeys spend a lot of time on the ground and will never join geese or other birds on long-distance flights, they are actually capable of flight. In fact, their survival depends upon it. In the evenings they roost high up in the trees for safety. This is a picture I took at camp last Christmas. Do you see them?


The height of these branches is FAR greater than the height of the chainlink fence that had my little feathered friend in a tizzy. I chuckled a little as I thought, "What a foolish bird. He's forgotten he can fly!"  And then I realized that he is not the only turkey. 

How often am I confronted with an obstacle and I react by desperately pacing back and forth completely forgetting that I have the gift of flight? I get focused on the proverbial fence and completely forget the tools of escape that I have at my disposal. Over and over in scripture, I am reminded that God has equipped me for freedom and not the entrapment of fences. 

He Gives Me Strength and Renewal
Isaiah 40:31 "But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles (turkeys); they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

He Helps Me When I am Fearful and Dismayed
Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

He Provides Escape So I Don't Get Tangled Up
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. But God is faithful. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear and when you are tempted he will provide a way out so that you can endure it."

So today I am thankful for my frantic little fowl friend for he gave me a good reminder. When faced with a fence I must remember that I can fly!

Oh, that I had wings like a dove (ahem, turkey); then I would fly away and rest! Psalm 55:6





No comments:

Post a Comment