Monday, April 8, 2013

Bounce or Splatter?

Bounce or splatter? I once read that when faced with adversity, there are two types of people in the world--those that bounce, and those that splatter. A bouncer hits rock bottom, but doesn't linger there. They may temporarily be flattened, but quickly use that posture to propel themselves back out of the depths. Splatterers, on the other hand, hit the bottom and fall into a million pieces. They remain stuck, unable to regroup and mobilize. 

What makes the reactions so different? When I first read of bouncers and splatterers, I have to admit my picture of adversity was quite different than my current perspective. At that time my biggest concerns were getting ready for a big presentation, making ends meet, worrying about checking off my to-do list. I believed I was a bouncer because I made up my mind to be one. Now that my adversity is on a grander scale, I have come to realize that it is not my determination and power that allows me to bounce, but reliance on a greater power.

I have discovered that when I feel like splattering, and boy, has that been tempting, that I am listening to the lies of a deceiver. I am lending my ear to fear, to the unknown, to the things I cannot control, to my physical weakness. It is hard to get up when you are pinned under lies, but there is a way.  Both the bouncers and the splatterers hit the bottom, but a bouncer doesn't listen to the lies that can be found there. A bouncer looks for truth.  Truths  like:
 "He has seen me through before, He will see me through again."
"He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds."
 "With man, this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible." 
These truths make the bouncer bounce.

Today I am coming back out of the pit. I was knocked flat by round three of "power aid". Four days of my life are all but missing, but I haven't splattered. I am holding onto the truths that will allow me to bounce back.  

At some point in life we all hit the bottom. Sometimes is it a shallow pit, sometimes it is a frightening depth, but we will all face adversity. How will you respond? Will you bounce or splatter? Remember, whatever you are facing, "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible." Don't listen to the splatterer's lies. BOUNCE!


1 comment:

  1. On occasion I have heard
    the sound of "splat".
    And He of whom it is said
    "...is able to stand me up
    and keep me from falling"
    Has willed to dig me out,
    put me together,
    and stand me up.
    It is good to know that
    He wills to,
    And will present me faultless
    By His creative power!!!

    ReplyDelete