Sunday, November 24, 2013

Secrets of the Snow



I love snow days! The treadmill of life comes to a screeching halt as we find ourselves surrounded by snow and icicles. We release control in sweet surrender and snuggle in for the day. We don't have to feel guilty for our luxurious laziness since it is shared by all around us. What a gift! As I sit enjoying the silence of the snow, I am reminded of these things:

Small, but United
Isn't it amazing that something as small as a snowflake can change the course of our day? Of course it isn't just one snowflake, but the compilation of many. There is power in the accumulation! Each snowflake, individual in its own design, joins with others equally unique to change the landscape of the land. I love that. It reminds me that little things make a difference. It reminds me that there is power in unity.

In the Details
And let's talk about the individual design for a minute. How incredible is it that of all the flakes in my yard, no two are alike? Talk about attention to detail. I read that although possible, it is very unlikely for any two randomly selected snowflakes to appear exactly alike due to the many changes in temperature and humidity the crystal experiences during its fall to earth. Aren't we much like that? We are all made up of the same material, and yet turn out so differently based on our life experiences. I love it that we are so diverse. I love it that God pays attention to details!

Reflection
Did you know that snowflakes aren't white? They are actually clear ice particles that reflect the full spectrum of color, therefore appearing white. It is the reflection that makes the appearance of pure white snow. That reminds me of a verse from Isaiah. "Come now, let us settle the matter," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." The reflection of Christ's sacrifice for my life,and my acceptance of that gift, changes the appearance of my sins in God's eyes. He no longer sees me as I am, but only the pure white reflection of his son. Thank you, Jesus!

Be Still
The snow has made me be still. Not of my choice, but certainly to my benefit. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10.  "He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes." Psalm 147:16. The snow today is from God and He can speak to you through it if you listen. While you are snuggled up today, listen for the sound of snowflakes. In their silence, God is speaking!


No comments:

Post a Comment