Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Each One Reach One

I am so excited that I just had to share! Most of you know that thymoma is a rare cancer. As far as we know I am the only case in the Lubbock area. MD Anderson only sees about 25 cases per year. There is very little research available and no support to speak of. Last week I received a newsletter from MD Anderson. On the back there was an advertisement about Anderson Network's One-on-One Support. It matches patients with similiar cancers to one another to provide support. I have chosen to live as loudly as I can with this cancer so that people see there is always hope. When I saw that advertisement I thought to myself, "I should do that." I set is aside and intended to get back to it.

Today I was up to my neck in projects and emails when suddenly I had an urgency to stop what I was doing and call. I picked up the phone and dialed the number.  I reached an operator by the name of Vetra. I told her I was interested in the program because I recognized how beneficial it would be to have someone to talk to with your disease. As I explained that I have a rare cancer called thymoma, she cut me off mid-sentence and asked me to repeat that. I said, "I have thymoma." She replied, "I can't believe you just said that. I said that word just 10 minutes ago! I was telling my co-worker that we need to do more reach out for people with thoracic disease like lung cancer, but that we can't forget the lesser known cancers like thymoma." She went on to say, "My co-worker didn't know what thymoma even was. I can't believe you just called."

By this point I was covered with goosebumps and choking on happy tears. I replied, "That just amazes me! I have tried to find others with thymoma and search for information, but there is just nothing there. I have blogged during my experience so that if there was anyone out there searching, they could find someone to connect to." Again she interrupted. "You blog? On your own? Oh my goodness, we are always looking for bloggers to share their stories! Do you mind if I get your contact information so that our communications department can reach you?" With a giggle in my throat I shared my phone number. 

As we talked about how our phone call had made each our days she said, "It is so funny that you called right when you did. I was supposed to be in another meeting, but just a few minutes ago they asked if they could bump it back 30 minutes. This was just meant to be!"  How amazing is it that I called and spoke to her. The other agent had no awareness of thymoma. If Vetra's
schedule hadn't been cleared and my prompting hadn't been so urgent, this blessed moment of connection would have been missed. You can't tell me that God isn't in the details!

There was another part of the phone call that thrilled my soul that you should know about as well. Vetra told me that I would be the 3rd volunteer they have with Thymoma. The other two are women as well and they each have Stave IV thymoma just like me. The best part though? They are longtime survivors. One was diagnosed in 1996 and the other in 2005. So in my effort to share a little hope, I received a little hope. The phone call came full circle.

I stand amazed!


2 comments:

  1. WOW! You and your journey never cease to amaze me and open up more of who our God really is! Yes, he is in the details! Love you and prayers are always going up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! This is Mary Pappas, the woman who's testimony you watched on the 700 Club! Yes I have had thymoma since I was 23 years old. Today I am 52 and I have survived and thrived despite 6 occurrences of the obnoxious disease. My e-mail is mppappas@zoominternet.net I would love to talk to you as well!

    ReplyDelete